DIY: Homemade Natural Honey Coconut Lip Moisturizer

This is one thing I had on my to-do list for 2012 was to make homemade lip moisturizer.  I don’t wear make-up hardly ever, although truth be told I am beginning to look like a tired 30+ Mama (I guess I have really looked tired for a while).  I do however go through a ton of lip balms and moisturizer.  I have been playing around with my coconut oil I received from Tropical Traditions and tried out several different variations of recipes. I said I would share this last week but wasn’t truly happy with the results so I played some more and now have several to share!

This is one that I really like, it is super easy and so far is Austin’s favorite!  You need three simple ingredients:  Coconut Oil, Bee’s Wax and Honey.

I opted to use the beeswax pastilles as they are super easy to weigh and you don’t have to worry about cutting or grating and using too much.  You will need either the tins to use or actual lipstick/lip balm tubes.  I purchased some of both to try out.  I love that the tin are super easy to fill and you don’t have to worry about spilling as it cools but it is all about preference!

This recipe makes enough to fill  6 to 7 – 1/2 oz containers depending on how full you make them.

Ingredients needed:

• 3 Tbls Coconut Oil
  • 3 Tbls Honey
  • 1 Tbls Beeswax

Using a small saucepan over low-medium heat combine your coconut oil, honey and beeswax.  Stir continually until it is all melted and combined 5-7 minutes.  Continue to stir vigorously for another 3-4 minutes over low-medium heat. (This is important to heat and stir until the ingredients are combined so they do not separate when cooling.)

Remove from heat and carefully spoon into containers.  I used a measuring spoon to fill my containers to ensure I didn’t spill and each container received the same amount. I put 2 1/2 teaspoons in each container.

This is what they looked like right after they were filled.

This is what they look like as the started to cool and harden.  I allowed them to fully cool, about three hours before placing the lids on them.  I also tried to whip the mixture after it was melted to see if it made a difference and then spoon it in.  You can see from the photo below, other than looking messy I didn’t notice a bit of difference, so save yourself some work and spoon it in.

Have some cute little sticker labels made for the tops of the tins and you have some super cute little frugal yet practical homemade gifts!  I have been using this since we made it and love it!

I ordered my Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions, my beeswax pastilles from Mountain Herb Rose and used Local Honey.   You can get containers also from Mountain Herb Rose (their shipping is very reasonable) or I ordered these from Specialty Bottle and the quality is good but shipping was very high.

Edited:  Several of you had issues with the honey and beeswax separating.  After experimenting with this recipe for almost two years, the only time I have had them separate is when I didn’t heat it long enough.  I edited the instructions above to continue to heat past just melting to ensure the ingredients are thoroughly combined.

Comments

1. Leah says

This was a very simple, fun recipe! I did it for homeade Christmas gifts this past year. I really liked it a lot! The only trouble I found was that it didn’t stay firm for me even though it was kept in a cooler part of my home during the wintertime. After it softened up, I found that it was “grainy” almost and not nearly as cool as when it was originally firmed up and put into the tins. Any suggestions on how to prevent this or any ideas on an ingredient that could be added to help prevent the grainy-ness and softening from occurring? Thanks so much:)

• Amanda N says

Hi Leah, I have yet to experience the grainy texture but I would imagine it is from the honey crystalizing. What type of honey are you using?

For the second issue, if it softens too quickly, try adding just a bit less of the coconut oil and just a bit more beeswax. I would start by adding 2 tablespoons & 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and add 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of beeswax to try it out. The more beeswax you add the harder it will become. I hope that helps!

• Aimee says

Hi Emily!
      To get my honey to blend, I added my ingredients right in the pot, I didn’t have any luck with the double boiler. It also incorporates best as it’s cooling down and you keep whisking away :)
      Hope this helps!

2. Aimee says

Thanks! also you said you could add 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil, would you use the same ratio for vanilla? and could I use vanilla extract?

3. Aimee says

I just made your lip balm! And I must say, I am NEVER going back to store bought! EVER!
    I even added a bit of olive oil. I LOVE IT!
    my only question is how long before it expires?
    thanks so much!

• Amanda says

I have never had an issue with the expiration (we use it before it has a chance to go bad). I just make a note of the dates on the products I am using to make it. During the summer I store my extras in the frig to keep it firm.

4. Cheri Johnson says

have you made any with any other oil besides coconut. I have almond oil and was wondering if it would work?

• Amanda says

I haven’t tried almond oil in this lip balm simply because it is so much softer. I plan to experiment with a few other oils as I have had several request one without coconut oil due to allergies. I will keep you posted!

• Amanda says

They didn’t blend at first but the longer they warmed and I kept stirring they whipped together. Try continuing to whip them as they cool as see if it doesn’t blend for you. Are you using raw honey?

5. Molly says

Thanks for the DIY lip balm! I’m thinking this will be perfect for my little kids for Christmas. I just made my first batch and have noticed it’s separated…I’m guessing the oil is on top since it’s clear, and the darker honey is at the bottom. I used a double boiler set up instead of melting the ingredients directly on the heat. I also halved the recipe. Do you have problems with separation? Thanks!

• Amanda says

Hi Molly, one other that made it had issues with separation. I have not but I always make it directly on the heat instead of using a double boiler for this recipe. I still have a few tubs from this batch I made that are perfect. When the oil hardens it should solidify but you want your honey melted in throughout so I would continue to mix over heat for a longer time to fully incorporate.

• Molly says

Thank you for your response. I may try to empty my containers and remelt it. If that doesn’t pull it together, maybe I’ll whip it once it’s cool. I sampled a little that cooled quickly on the spatula I used…yum! and made my lips so soft! Can’t wait to share with the little ones :) Thanks again!