There are advantages of using a straw when drinking, one is the reduction of tooth decay especially when drinking acidic drinks like sodas and juices.
There are some communities that collect used straws that have been used for beer and soft drinks, and then create upcycled woven mats or bags, like these in Uganda. This however is not the norm.
Solving Our Plastic Problem One Straw at a Time
According to McDonald’s website, as of March 2008 they served an average of 52 million meals PER DAY! Most of those meals will come with a drink and straw. Can you visually picture a mound of straws that big? Those eventually make their way right into the landfills. Realizing that fact is what stbrought the idea of GlassDharma to glassblower David Leonhardt. Although he realized he couldn’t eliminate all of our plastic problems, he could help to solve one plastic problem that plagues us today! And so GlassDharma was born!
The vision behind GlassDharma was plain and simple:
- Create glass straws that don’t leach toxins into your food as you drink.
- Each time you use your glass straw equals one less plastic straw ending up in your landfill.
- One glass straw replaces thousands of plastic straws. (How many times will you use a straw the rest of your life?)
Glass Dharma straws are made from borosilicate. Borosilicate glass is a type of glass with the main ingredients of silica and boron oxide. Borosilicate glass is most well-known for having very low thermal expansion, making it resistant to thermal shock, more so than any other common glass. It is also non-porous and hypoallergenic. Borosilicate glass was first developed by German glassmaker Otto Schott in the late 19th century. Borosilicate glass is often used for high-quality beverage glassware and kitchenware (a popular brand name is Pyrex®). It has increased durability and has microwave and dishwasher compatibility. It contains no lead.
We also have stainless steel straws that we have used for the past few years but my children are really enjoying using glass straws due to how they feel in their mouth. I love that they are non-toxic so I feel good about them using them!
GlassDharma Glass Straws
- A great environmental addition to your kitchenware. They are great for hot or cold drinks, and are microwave and dishwasher safe!!
- Come with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If they don’t meetyour expectations, GlassDharma stands behind their products and you can return them for a full refund.
- Covered with their unbelievable Lifetime Guarantee Against Breakage. That Means that if they ever break, they will replace them – Free
- Hand-made in the U.S.A. Their straws are all hand-made in Fort Bragg, California. The Hemp Sleeves are made in Linden, California and the cleaning brushes are manufactured in the U.S.
The straws are made in four widths, each for various uses. The also come in a variety of lengths: 6.25″, 8″, 9″ and 10″, so you are covered in every occasion. I received a sipper straw in amber dots that is perfect size for the children’s glass cups. They love it and we will be purchasing a second one for sure! We also received a bend straw which I really enjoy using in the 12mm and is perfect for homemade smoothies and milk shakes! The blue dotted straw I received is a 9.5 mm and is not only super cute but also a perfect size every day drinking straw! The last straw we received was a 14mm size and it is Hubby’s favorite. Give him his mega mug of ice tea with that straw and he is one happy guy!
Purchase Your Own GlassDharma Straws
I am so excited that GlassDharma will be one of the sponsors in the upcoming Noise Girls Fall Foodie Event beginning on October 1st. Be sure you come back to enter as there will be great prize packages full of yummy goodies!
I received the above straws to review. All opinions expressed are, as always 100% my own.